Monday, December 6, 2010

Final Blog Post

This semester I have become much more courageous in terms of my use of materials. In class I have been exposed to many materials and techniques I have not used in the past. One memorable example of this is tyvek. I challenged myself at the beginning of the semester to really explore materials and to never use the same material in my weekly sketchbook entries. While not all of them are successful, I had fun and learned a lot.

This blog got me in the habit, first, of writing down the names of artists as they were mentioned. From there I was inspired to really research the artwork that has been influencing the contemporary art world. I have been spending tons of time creating an extensive collection of images if art that I find inspiring and that I think my students might also.

This class got me very excited about another visual resource I hadn't given one thought to previously: the overhead projector. I always associated this with math problems and English lessons and had no idea how powerful it could be in an art classroom. It completely transformed the room in so many ways, from text to cut-outs to packaging-tape-balls it created interest and set the topic for what we would be discussing. Even when it isn't projecting any color it lights up the room, I suppose literally.

One important thing I learned to remember is that I don't know everything and I shouldn't presume that I do. There are tons of things I can learn from the students and they can learn from each other. I saw this especially when we were using various computer programs to make our 'alphabet primers.' There are many ways to create something, and I think we all learned new ways to do something even that simple.

Another instruction technique I learned about is to flow with the class's interests and discoveries when creating lessons. Listening to the students can be scary though, because it means we have less time to plan and prepare as well as less control over the direction of the class. It allows the class to move somewhere meaningful and personal.

I am looking forward to continue the play I have been doing in my weekly sketchbook to my own studio work. I will be able to turn all of my experiments in materials I did into more developed pieces of artwork. I plan to search fabric stores and other places for different patterns that I will be able to spray paint over. For some reason I enjoy the entire process of painting so much more when it's over a pattern like that as opposed to a blank white surface.

I think students no matter what age just wanted to be affirmed through their artwork. This can be done by projecting images of everyone's finished work. It can also be done by showing the importance of displaying their work and allowing them to be a part of it. It can be done by something as simple as taking the time to discuss everyone's work, or treating the students like they are professionals. This can be done in printmaking by setting up stations and showing students how to clean and traditionally sign a print. We need to show the students they can be real artists, not just students pretending to be artists for 45 minutes at a time.

My new header image is two drawings I did when I was little, I think about 6. It just shows how far I have come and you really never know when art is going to just really click with a student and maybe change their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment