Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 12 Response

We talked for a while about getting started on our final projects and what we might do. Im excited to begin. Im definitely going to continue working on a square canvas, its been really exciting and surprisingly different in terms of composition. It needs to include new thinking about our art. Im going to continue working with my cats as a my subject matter, and spray paint lace into the background. Through our discussion I decided to also include actual lace, which I think will work well with the embroidery I hope to also include.

We also discussed the freedom we have as artists and art teachers to change our minds and our plans at any time, which is exciting. This reminded me of when we talked a few weeks back about reading the class and using the students to develop and change the curriculum week to week.

A few materials and resources that were new to me were mentioned. One that I think is really exciting is the xerox transfer marker, for making transfers of photographs or text that have been xeroxed. We can find mirrored paper at Canal Plastics. I've been there and it's a really fun place. I will try to go soon and see what other kinds of things they have there. Useing the laser cutter was also mentioned, which has so many exciting possibilities. I just have no idea how I would go about doing that.

I heard an interesting concept in this class. Someone was wondering how to make a decision in their own work, such as which colors they should use. The answer was to consider the way you would teach color use to your students. We could teach how to use color to represent a mood or atmosphere, or for it to be monochromatic or use complementary colors, or a number of other things. We should ask ourselves "What is there to teach?"

A lot of times when I'm doing something difficult or complicated I will try to figure out how I would explain it to someone who had never done it before. We talked about something that reminded me of that. We might make something using paper or any other material into a 3D object, then figure out how we could move backwards into 2D and create a plan to make it again. This happened while we were discussion the carousel book. This is the best image I could find that was exactly what we talked about, including the base circle. This can fold right back up into a flat book shape.



We split up into three stations to create a simple form using the idea of balls and globes. They can be made from many materials such as aluminum foil, newspaper, anything rolled with glue, or paper mache. You could stretch fabric over a structure made by webbing or lashing materials like bamboo. Here are a few examples of balls in many different materials, including some that were purchased.



Station 1: We first made two hoops by bending and taping together bamboo, then lashed on strips of cardboard. This was so fun! It really made a difference when we curved the cardboard strips instead of just creasing them in some places. We got it to look fairly solid. Here it is in progress.


Station 2: This group did tape casting from existing balls such as basketballs and baseballs. They are made by laying layers of tape on the ball or object sticky side up to begin with then layers with the sticky side down. Enough layers of this will make a casing that can be cut off.

Station 3: This group made a stop motion film using a ball of clay that was to split up then come back again.

A bunch of artists were mentioned during our discussions, so here are a few that I particularly liked...

This is Kehinde Wiley. I couldn't find titles to these pieces, but I do know that his work is inspired by traditional artwork that he replaces the subjects with young black men. The way the pattern moves behind and in front of the man is beautiful, and is something I want to explore with my final project.




This is Tim Knolls, who lets the trees do the drawing. Beautiful.



Lastly, here is Trenton Doyle Hancock. His style is so exciting and I love his use of color and text.



No comments:

Post a Comment