Friday, September 24, 2010

Artists

I found some really incredible artists whose work reminds me of what we've been doing in class. These first two artists use text in a really stunning way. This one is "I Know About Your Broken Heart" by Carson Fox. Its made of wire and synthetic hair.


This next one is untitled by a book artist named Hilal Sami Hilal. It's made of cotton fiber and pigment. Here it is, with a detail...


Two other artists made me think of the way we used the tyvek. Cal Lane made these these two, "Five Shovels" and "Wheelbarrow". I love how delicate they look even though they're made with such strong, masculine objects.




This last artist, Piper Shepard, does similar work but works with materials such as muslin, aluminum and graphite. The first is called "Chambers" and the second is "Along Lace Lines".


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful & lovely -I feel so connected to the artists you chose. I really felt moved by the broken heart piece and the material used to express the poetic phrase. I also loved the wheel barrel and shovels, for similar reasons as you about the heavy materials, but also because of the way light dances through the objects. There's something about a cut out of metal or mortar that strikes a chord with me. It becomes more like architecture perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Piper! I had her as a professor for a few classes at MICA- she is the cutest lady ever and super knowledgeable about fiber studies. If you ever wanted to know more she would definitely respond to an email!-
    pshepard@mica.edu

    ReplyDelete